The pizzetta sfoglia is a typical Cagliari specialty, particularly loved by those who choose to visit the capital of Sardinia and practically by all those who live there! In Cagliari it can be found in all bars and pastry shops.
It is so characteristic of the city that in fact it is difficult to find it in other places, for example in other parts of Italy it does not exist at all, much to the regret of all the inhabitants of Cagliari around the peninsula!
It is normally consumed for breakfast together with cappuccino or coffee. But it is often present as an aperitif or as finger food during holidays, birthdays or on many other occasions.
A real delicacy that we advise you to taste as soon as you arrive in Cagliari.
A must is coffee, pizza and sun in one of the kiosks on the Poetto seafront, with the Sella del Diavolo in front!
The pizzas are made with puff pastry, tomato pulp, capers and anchovies (an ingredient not always present, it depends on who made them!).
But we can also try to prepare them at home, the recipe is really very simple, especially if we use a roll of ready-made puff pastry!
Here is the recipe:
- 2 rolls of puff pastry
- 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- anchovies (if you want)
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
- Mix the tomato sauce with the concentrate and add salt to taste.
- Roll out the puff pastry and form circles the size of a glass.
- Set half of the circles aside, and in the remaining half put the tomato sauce in the center and add an anchovy and a caper to your liking.
- Cover with the other circle of puff pastry and close as best it can.
- Brush the surface of the various pizzas with beaten egg.
- Bake at 200 degrees, preheated oven for about 10/15 minutes, until they are golden at the right point.
Enjoy your meal!